Ohio's Interagency Work Group on Autism | Resources and Services

Resources and Services

Employment and Independent Living Resources

Ohio has public resources to help adolescents and adults find jobs and live independently in the community.

View Employment and Independent Living Resources

Health, Mental Health, and Disability Benefits

Families can find several public resources to assist in getting access to and coverage for, health care, mental health services, and disability benefits.

View Health, Mental Health, and Disability Benefits

Resources and Supports

Find information on a variety of public resources that support individual and family needs.

View Resources and Supports

Adults > Employment and Independent Living Resources

County Board of Developmental Disabilities (CBDD)

CBDDs are found in every Ohio county. They provide a wide range of services and supports to more than 75,000 children and adults with developmental disabilities. In some counties, preschool special education may be available at a County Board -operated location, as well as other supports and services.

Who's eligible?

A child with at least two developmental delays or an established risk. (Established risk means a condition that has a high probability of resulting in a delay or disability).

Services can include:

Services for preschoolers vary by county depending on local resources and may include:

  • Preschool special education, under the Operating Standards of the Ohio Department of Education
  • Support for families and school districts to help with a child's educational services, such as assisting with transitions between important stages
  • Service and support administration (SSA), which is like case management, and can help families plan and coordinate services better
  • Assistance for families in accessing Medicaid Waivers (waivers are another way that Medicaid can pay for services so an individual with long-term needs can be cared for at home)
  • Family Supports Services, for things like adaptive equipment, respite, home modifications, special diets, and more
  • Parent support and education opportunities

Who should I contact?

To connect to the County Board of Developmental Disabilities in your county, visit http://odmrdd.state.oh.us/contacts/countyboards1.htm and click on County Board Roster.

Ohio Rehabilitation Services Commission (RSC)

RSC is the state agency that serves Ohioans with disabilities to achieve quality employment, independence and Social Security disability determination outcomes through its Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation (BVR), Bureau of Services for the Visually Impaired (BSVI) and Bureau of Disability Determination (BDD). The Bureau of Disability Determination, in agreement with the Social Security Administration, determines medical eligibility for Social Security Disability benefits for Ohioans.

Who's eligible?

Eligibility for services through BVR and BVSI is based on three factors:

  • you have a physical or mental impairment which constitutes or results in a substantial impediment to employment;
  • you can benefit from services in terms of an employment outcome; and
  • you require vocational rehabilitation services to keep or gain employment.

Services may include

  • Counseling and guidance to choose an employment goal based on your strengths, resources, priorities, concerns, capabilities and interests
  • Personal and work adjustment training to help you reach your occupational objective
  • Vocational training which might include vocational school, college, technical or business school, or on-the-job or supported employment training in an industrial or commercial firm
  • Help with purchase of supplies such as textbooks or tools required for vocational training, or licenses and equipment are necessary to begin an occupation
  • Assistance with physical and mental restoration such as artificial limbs, eyeglasses, hearing aids, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and more
  • Assistance with resume development and practice interviews to get you ready for the job search
  • Providing employers with innovative support, technical assistance and placement services resulting in quality jobs for individuals with disabilities

Who should I contact?

Anyone can make a referral to RSC. You can even refer yourself. Referrals may be made in writing, by telephone or through a visit to the nearest RSC office. For a referral form, please visit http://www.rsc.ohio.gov/_layouts/images/rsc/Publications/VRReferral.pdf

Find the RSC Office nearest to you by visiting http://www.rsc.ohio.gov/bvrbsvi/rscfieldofficetext/default.asp.

One Stop Centers

Ohio has 90 One Stop Centers across the state to help job seekers prepare for and find jobs. The Centers are administered through the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services. Adults and youth with disabilities can use One-Stop services to gain skills and qualifications that will help them obtain a first or better job. Sometimes job seekers with disabilities may need some type of accommodations to use One-Stop services. Upon request, One-Stops will make reasonable accommodations to help a job seeker fully participate in their programs, services, and activities. Accommodations might include materials in alternate formats, individual meetings rather than group orientation, or assistance with filling out forms. Centers also have a variety of accessible equipment to assist job seekers in accessing One-Stop services such as screen reader and magnification software, document scanners, large monitors, and adjustable desks.

Who's eligible?

Everyone can use services provided by the One-Stop system. Even if you receive services from another agency, you have the right to access One-Stop services.

Services may include

Job seeking customers can expect services such as access to resource rooms, job-related workshops, supportive services, individual training, and other activities that match job seekers to employment. For a sample of services, please visiti http://jfs.ohio.gov/owd/JobSeekers/One-Stop-Services.stm.

Who should I contact?

Locate the One Stop Center closest to you by visiting http://jfs.ohio.gov/owd/wia/wiamap.stm

Statewide Independent Living Centers

Independent Living Centers are private, nonprofit corporations, operated within local communities, which provide services to maximize the independence of individuals with disabilities and the accessibility of the communities they live in. Centers provide, among other things, several core services:

  • Advocacy
  • Independent living skills training
  • Information and referral
  • Peer counseling

Who should I contact?

For more information about Centers located in Ohio, contact 614.892.0390 or e-mail Kay Grier at kgrier@ohiosilc.org.

Ticket to Work Program

Ticket to Work is an employment program for people with disabilities who are interested in going to work. The Ticket Program is part of the Ticket to Work and Work Incentives Improvement Act of 1999 - legislation designed to remove many of the barriers that previously influenced people's decisions about going to work because of the concerns over losing health care coverage.

Who's eligible?

Individuals receiving Social Security disability benefits.

Services may include

Under this program, the Social Security Administration (SSA) issues tickets to eligible individuals who, in turn, may choose to assign those tickets to an Employment Network (EN) of their choice to obtain employment services, vocational rehabilitation services, or other support services necessary to achieve a vocational (work) goal.

Who should I contact?

To locate Employment Networks throughout Ohio visit:


For more detailed information about the Ticket to Work Program visit: